"To advance research in nanoscale science, engineering and technology, the National Science Foundation (NSF) will provide a total of $81 million over five years to support 16 sites as part of a new National Nanotechnology Coordinated Infrastructure. The NNCI sites will provide researchers from academia, government, and companies large and small with access to university user facilities with leading-edge fabrication and characterization tools, instrumentation, and expertise within all disciplines of nanoscale science, engineering and technology. The NNCI framework builds on the National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network, which enabled major discoveries, innovations, and contributions to education and commerce for more than 10 years."
Summer Texas Nanofabrication Facility REU program
9 weeks research internship: June 4th - August 3rd 2018
Summer 2018 applications are CLOSED.
NNCI Research Experience for Undergraduate program opens up one (1) position for a Societal and Ethical Implications (SEI) research project and (4) positions for Engineering research projects.
Research Project Examples
- Nanometrology: Fiber Flow Rate Sensors using Thermally Drawn Multimaterial Fluidic Channel Fibers
- Materials Epitaxy: Optical Characterization of AlInAsSb Digital Alloy Films
- Optoelectronics: Simulation and Nanofabrication for Tip-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy
- Integrated Photonics: Tablet Analysis and Display of Semiconductor Biosensors
- Mechanical Devices: Microfabrication and Testing of Directional Piezoelectric Microphones using Aluminum Nitride
- Materials Chemistry: Improvement of Sodium-Ion Batteries using Solution-Grown Germanium Nanowire anodes
- SEI project with Prof. LeeAnn Kahlor : The Societal and Ethical Implications of Nanofabrication: Research and Training
- $4,500 Stipend, housing provided, travel allowance, social activities
Application Requirements (online)
You are required to submit the following materials using the online uploaded widget.
- Completed NNCI - TNF REU registration form
- Statement of Purpose
- One Letter of Recommendation (from college faculty member) sent through the widget
- Copy of Academic Transcript
- Proof of Insurance (before start date)
- Sophomore, Junior, or non-graduating Senior
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- GPA of 3.0 or greater (out of 4.0)
- Non-UT Austin students
Application Status and program dates
Dead line for sending complete application is Wednesday Jan 31th, 2018. Please be sure to note in your application that you are interested in the SEI or Engineering projects. Offer letter for the selected applicant will be send not later than March 15th, 2018. Program will run at UT from June 4th to Aug 3rd. Convocation with all REU NNCI interns will be hosted by NCSU Aug 6th-7th, 2018.