The Microelectronics Research Center concentrates research in the following major areas:
- New device and integrated circuit structures, including advanced component development and process modeling
- Studies of hot electron transport in small geometry devices and the physics of scaled devices
- Device processing including diffusion, lithography, rapid thermal processing, plasma etching, remote plasma, and thermal chemical vapor deposition of silicon and related film
- Advanced crystal growth of compound semiconductor materials, including III-V multiple heterojunction structures, employing MBE and MOCVD
- New device structures for optoelectronic and photonic applications, and for microwave and millimeter-wave devices
- New approaches to device packaging and interconnects, including optical interconnects.